Grief & Bereavement Counseling
I understand the grieving process both personally and professionally. I lost my mother, father, and two sisters. Bereavement and grief aren’t light-hearted topics. Bereavement refers to the process of recovering from the death of a loved one, and grief is a reaction for any form of loss. Both encompass a wide range of emotions such as fear, anger and deep, deep sadness and loss.
The process of adapting to a loss can dramatically change from person to person, depending on his or her background, beliefs, relationship to the person who’s passed, and other factors.
From a spiritual perspective, deep or complicated grief, called lamenting, is expressed with words such as “Why did I not perish at birth, come from the womb and expire” (Job 3:11), Why is my pain continuous, my wound incurable” Jer. 15:18, “my legs tremble beneath me” ( Hab. 3:6).
Common symptoms of grief can be physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, or social.
A few common symptoms in these categories are:
- Crying and sighing
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty sleeping
- Feelings of sadness and yearning
- Feelings of worry or anger
- Feelings of frustration or guilt
- Decreased concentration
- Memory gaps and decreased memory
- Try to get close to their loved one
- Denial and Isolation: Sincerity and an attempt at self-honesty
- Anger and Resentment: Grievance and honesty with God
- Bargaining and Working: Tears and petitioning God for Help
- Depression and Alienation: Consolation and receiving help form God
- Feeling detached from others
- Self-isolation from social contact
- Behaving in ways that are not normal for you
Every grieving experience is different. A person may be able to continue their day-to-day routine after one loss, yet not be able to get out of bed after the loss of someone else. Whatever your personal symptoms are, grief and bereavement counseling have been proven to help.
If you are experiencing grief-related thoughts, behaviors, or feelings that are distressing, please contact me today for a free consultation or to set up an appointment.